[RTTY] DXP38 vs MMTTY tuning faceoff

Barry w2up@mindspring.com
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:10:03 -0400

On 26 Sep 01, at 9:27, Bill Turner wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:30:24 +0100, Mobile Workshop wrote:
>
> >Well, this may sound daft, (and I am sure it is!!) BUT, I use
> >1275/1445 mark/shift, (USB of course), and find that I can tune by
> >ear almost all of the time.
> <snip>
>
> >Is this just me being daft, a figment of my imagination, or something
> >less obvious??

> Daft?  Not at all.  When you maintain the same shift and lower the
> tones, the percentage separation between them becomes larger and more
> distinguishable.
>
> As you indicated, a person should be careful not to overdrive the
> audio stages in the transmitter because harmonics of the lower audio
> frequency may still be within the passband of the rig.  Using
> frequencies near the upper end of the passband reduces this
> possibility.
>
> 73, Bill W7TI

I tune by ear 95% of the time, using the high tones (guess I'm a
few years younger than you low tone guys, and can still hear up
there, hi). As a matter of fact, I find tuning by ear most helpful on
the very weak signals that don't produce enough signal to use the
display.

BTW, last year I surprised Don, AA5AU, by going SOLP for the
first time (the only guy that knew my category plans before the
contest was K5DJ, and I asked him not to tell Don). I enjoyed
doing LP for two main reasons:
1. The shack stays a LOT cooler running 300W vs. 3000W (not
illegal power, but SO2R).
2. I have NO interstation interference at LP, while I still have some I
can't get rid of at HP - especially between 40 and 20. All antennas
on are one tower, including 2 TH7s only 15 ft apart (I use both
stubs and bandpass filters).

I've been chatting with Don over the last few weeks, so he knows
my plans this weekend. The shootout should be fun!

73,
Barry
P.S. I hope to work everybody reading this on 5 bands :.)