[RTTY] High tones v Low Tones

Phil Cooper Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:14:34 +0100

Hi all,

Well, I never expected my comments about high and low tones to generate so
much interest, but as Bill W7TI pointed out, "harmonics of the lower audio
frequency may still be within the passband of the rig. "

This IS an important point, and should be considered when setting up
whatever tones you are using via the soundcard (where you have an almost
endless choice).

My main consideration was one of being able to hear the tones comfortably,
AND the fact that I have an audio filter which is designed for the lower
tones, (although I could re-program it).

I have tried to use the higher tones, but guess I am too used to the sound
of the lower tones now. As Chen pointed out, one gets used to these things,
and indeed I can "hear" a CQ call in RTTY, and even recognise my own
callsign.
Now, is that sad or what?

Ah well, see you all at the weekend on low tones!
73 de Phil GU0SUP