[RTTY] RE: Specimen card

Kok Chen chen@mac.com
Tue, 02 Apr 2002 09:53:22 -0800

GU0SUP wrote:

> After reading about the dummy-load antennas, I wondered if anyone had given
> any thought to a HORIZONTAL Titanex for 160m?? Just lay it down the beach,
> with its tip in the water. Heck, you could save an enormous amount of weight
> by not taking all those guy ropes!

Don't laugh.  Antennas have been used this way in the Antarctica.

The ice shelf is pretty thick there (many, many wavelenths even at
160m :-), and although water is a bad insulator, ice is a pretty good
one.  I think I remember that they had a Whistler receiving antenna
at the Siple station.  The only reason they even elevated the long
wire was so they could find it the next year :-).

For 160m, why don't we just load the island itself as an antenna?

73
Chen, AA6TY