[RTTY] Icom rigs query

Vladimir V. Sidorov eu1sa@belsonet.net
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:44:59 +0300

Hi Phil,

> I have been offered an Icom IC756 (not the PRO!) at a very reasonable
price,
> and wonder whether it is a good rig for RTTY-only use.

I use one with 2 x 250 Hz filters and it runs just great. The are very
simple tricks how to use narrow filters for RTTY, especially if you use AFSK
in SSB mode, but it's not a problem at all.

> Also, will it function happily with Writelog/MMTTY without having to spend
> more money on interfaces etc?

Easily. Moreover, you don't need any interface, just cables.

To be honest, I (PERSONALLY) would prefer the 756-"Light" over the two PRO's
for a simple reason that it sounds much nicer being an analog rig almost
completely (only the 4th IF and the detector are DSP). I just dislike (and
very much) the digital sound...
Besides, if you compare some figures (sensivity, dinamic range etc) of the
756 and PRO's you will find a lot of interesting things.
Sure, it runs FSK (the "genuine" FSK unlike some other rigs).

> There is also an IC765, and I cannot seem to find much about this rig on
the
> web either.

The receiver at the 765 is rather better than the 756, but there is ONE RX
instead of TWO at the 756. If you try a two-RX radio once, you will never go
from it. And the range of service functions at the 756 is much larger. And
don't forget a spectrum display, it helps so much...

> Anyone use either of these? And do either/both have FSK?
>
> I currently use an FT900, which is OK, and does work, but I really would
> like FSK and better filtering.

Once I had a chance to compare A/B the FT-900 and the IC-756 during a
contest. What to say? I'll better quit, as otherwise I will never stop. They
are just uncomparable... Just go for the 756.

73,
"Walt", EU1SA