[RTTY] K1B

joseph duerbusch k0bx@qsl.net
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:14:58 -0700

Chen, AA6TY wrote:
"Seems fewer and fewer people tune for DX anymore; they just buy bigger amps and taller antennas, and wait for a cluster spot, so they can go compete with 2000 other people who also wait for the
same cluster spot."
I had to laugh when I saw this, Monday I checked the internet cluster and saw K1B was on 10 meter rtty.  It was just about time to go home, so off I went on my 12 minute ride home.  once home, Down the basement, turn on the computer, rig and amp.  The rig, amp and antenna was already on 10 from Sunday  nights try for the K1B.  After the computer came up, started up Writelog and MMTTY.  There he was on 28.080 listening up.  I took my time and copied  a few of his qso's.  Mostly was JA's, but then he started working 9, 2, 3's.  He was listening on 28.087.  He was s-6 on my poor antenna, so knew it was almost his peak.  A few calls and he was in the log.  This was about 4:20 pm local, or 21:20Z.
By the time 5 pm came, he was way down in the mud.

So I am guilty of using the spots, but for a major  Dxpedition they are going to be on all the common freq's.  I have memories set for all their modes/bands so I can see where they are at with just a twist of the knob.

I do spend most of my time tuning the band, mostly rtty and when I find something I do spot it (of course after I work it!

Joe K0BX