[RTTY] Win98->Win XP?

Bill Turner w7ti@dslextreme.com
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 18:55:01 -0700

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 15:39:09 -0000, DJ3IW Goetz wrote:

>Hello friends!
>
>A new fast computer is about to take over from my old Pentium 200MMX.
>The new one will run Windows XP home. I am looking for an easy and
>fast method to transfer my (mainly ham-) software from the WIN98 machine
>to the new one. I want to avoid installing everything from scratch.
>What can the gurus recommend?

When it comes to transferring files like you want to, there are
two kinds of software:

1.  Software which has all of its own files in its own directory
or sub-directories under the ORIGINAL directory.  This kind you
just copy files and directories to a floppy(s) or CD and recopy
back to the new directory.  This is the good kind.

The bad kind is

2.  Software which installs files not only in its own directory,
but other directories as well, usually somewhere in the Windows
directory.  I hate this kind.  Writelog is a classic example.  I
have found the best way is to do a complete install from scratch
and then copy all your old files over the new install, replacing
all of them when asked.  This does two things for you:  The new
install installs the files you probably would have missed in the
Windows directory, and the copy-over restores any changes you've
made in the files from the old folder.  If you KNOW which files
belong to the program in the Windows directory, by all means copy
them over, but often you can't tell.  Writelog has some .dll
files somewhere in Windows and those are the ones you miss by
simply copying.

Hope this helps.

73, Bill W7TI