[RTTY] Morning all

Shelby Summerville k4ww@arrl.net
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 09:45:17 -0400

"Robert Webb" <G0urr@btopenworld.com> wrote: "Saw some nice dx on 80m"

I admit that I missed about 3 hours (0230-0530) of the first segment, and
possibly missed ANY signal on 80 meters. Intermittent checking before 0230
and after 0530 yeilded not one signal? I also confess to not having the most
efficient (inverted vee @ 55 feet) 80 meter antenna, but I suspect, without
doing the research, that less than 1% of all my RTTY contacts have been on
80 meters? As inefficient as the inverted vee may seem, it has allowed me
DXCC on 80 meters, with 17 of those on RTTY! Am I missing the "time frame"
when "domestic" (US - VE) stations are operating on 80 meters, or is this
area so "propagation challenged" that "what others hear/work", I'm unable to
do"?
I only write this as a substantion of my being against adding 160 meters to
any RTTY contest! Other obvious problems aside, I just see no need for 160,
when I can seldom, if ever, find RTTY signals, during a contest, on 80
meters!
C'Ya, Shelby