[RTTY] Help!!!

Vladimir V. Sidorov eu1sa@belsonet.net
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 11:08:39 +0300

> OK all you guru's out there, I need help.

Being not a guru :-)  I'll try to help out somehow.

> I'm setting up a '430 for 2nd radio here and have it hooked to an
> Astron RS-20A power supply.  When I turn the radio on it
> receives, but when I go to transmit, the radio starts to chatter
> and the display goes away.  I tried it on the '840 and it won't
> work on it either
> I tried---

All this reminds me my own experience with an IC-740. Almost the same
attitude, fine RX, no TX, still full voltage from the power supply. It took
me very long time and all possible checks up the radio, but the result of
the investigation almost killed me. It's hard to believe, but it was a
HALF-DEAD FUSE in the power cord !!! Actually the inside wire, or conductor,
whatever you call it, of the fuse was only touching the fuse's end without a
proper contact. So, it was OK for low currents, but the contact turned to be
broken under high currents.
Checking unit by unit, it was very difficult to understand the nature of the
problem, because every unit was fine when checked alone, like full voltage
from the power supply, a fine fuse when checked with an Ohm-meter, etc.
Just a replacement of the fuse settled everything...

So, I would play a bit with all possible fuses. Who knows ...

73,

"Walt", EU1SA