[RTTY] Ameritron AL80B amplifier and RTTY

Bill Turner w7ti@dslextreme.com
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 07:19:03 -0700

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 14:54:44 +0100, Jim Martin wrote:

>I am looking for information on how the AL80B performs when operating RTTY.
>This particular amp was made in 1994 and had a new tube fitted 18 months
>ago.
>I have checked the internet reviews and they seem positive but very few
>referred to RTTY operation. Any information appreciated.
>Jim

I have a Heathkit SB-1000 which is a clone of the AL-80 series
(or is it the other way around?) :-)

You can run it at 1kw out for short periods such as a quick DX
QSO, but for sustained operation such as contesting, cut the
power back to about 600 watts output or you'll fry the power
transformer.  The transformer is the weak link in the chain; the
rest of the circuitry seems to hold up ok at max power.

I'm assuming the transformer is the same in both units, so if
anyone knows differently, please come forth.  Tom, W8JI, is the
designer of both units so perhaps he could answer best.

73, Bill W7TI