[RTTY] Ameritron AL80B amplifier and RTTY

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au@bellsouth.net
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:45:11 -0500

Jim,

I own two AL-80B amplifiers now and they are the reason I've been
migrating to high power contesting.  I've owned one for two years and
the other one I bought in January of this year.  I run them hard in contests
at 500 watts.

The only time I ever went above 500 watts was when working Ducie
Island.  I had the older unit cranked to about 750 watts.  I use them
on 110 VAC too so that is probably harder on the transformer (more current).
I had the SB-1000 and blew the transformer up twice.  The 2nd time it
blew up more than just the transformer.  Both times it blew up were during
JARTS contests. hi  I hope to run 220 VAC into the shack some year.  You
know, it's one of those things on the list that does not ever seem to get done,
like running that beverage antenna out into the swamp!

I don't know if the amplifier design has changed much since '94.    I'm
using a 3-500ZG in both of mine and they appear to be very rugged.  I like
them.  They are easy to tune and work fine.  Personally, I would not take
a chance on an older amplifier.  The that's just my opinion.   But if the price
is right, go for it!

73, Don AA5AU