[RTTY] KE4KWE SOABLP WPX

Mobile Workshop mobile.workshop@guernseytelecoms.com
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 15:06:06 -0000

Hi all,

I think it might have been me that was "(ir)responsible for the comment
about callsigns, so I thought I might share the exact reasoning for saying
such a thing.

This is but ONE example of what happened, and was on 40m, but it occurred
later in the contest on other bands too.

At the time, I was doing the usual S&P on 40m when I noticed that I was
spotted on a particular frequency.
Replying to a CQ, I got the response :  RGR UR 599 001 001 001 BK.

Now, I didn't respond to that immediately, thinking I may have missed the
callsign exchange at the beginning, but before anything else, I saw GU0SUP
DE RU3AT RU3AT, and then again came the transmission RGR UR 599 001 001 001
BK, (not the actual serial number of course!!), and then I see GU0SUP DE
RU3AT TKS. So, it would appear that RU3AT thinks he got me. After a few
goes, I finally did manage to get a reasonable response from the guy I
called in the first place.

I saw quite a few responding in the above manner, and feel that this is NOT
good practice. Maybe I'll have to try and find room for a buffer that goes :
"PLS EXCHANGE CALLS WID UR RPRT - THANKS" and see what happens!

It may also have been the reason why when I called 4X6UU, I was told SRI WKD
B4 ON THIS BAND, when that was the first time I had even seen that call.

I appreciate that it isn't practical to do KE4KWE DE GU0SUP UR 599 001 001
KE4KWE DE GU0SUP BK, and I usually do KE4KWE UR 599 001 001 QSL? DE GU0SUP
BK.

Unfortunately, it ain't practical to try and "educate" the person in the
above scenario, as by that time, they are being called by someone else.

As someone else said, there were calls for a lot of repeats, and I don't
think propagation was the entire reason, but was more likely due to the
large number of contestors around for this one. Plenty of folk must have
been using something other than contesting software, as the lack of
call-validation was quite evident at times.
I came up as GI0SUP and GU0SUN quite a few times, and it was hard work to
get the call corrected on occasions.

As Don has mentioned in the past, we need to educate some of these guys, but
I am not sure it is too practical in the midst of battle. It also doesn't
take into account the fact that there may be a problem with language either.
Anyone got any good ideas??

73 to all,

Phil GU0SUP

and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom
they are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify the author immediately and delete it, together
with all copies, from your system.  You are unauthorised to
directly, or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print or copy
any part of this message if you are not its intended recipient.
 Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of
Guernsey Telecoms Ltd.

Information held on any of Guernsey Telecoms' computer
systems is the property of Guernsey Telecoms Ltd. Guernsey
Telecoms Ltd reserves the right to monitor and review the
content of all information, messages and attachments sent
to or from this e-mail address.