[RTTY] Get those packet spots going!

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au@bellsouth.net
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:19:38 -0600

There was less spotting going on this year than last for sure.  I remember
last year chasing all kinds of new multipliers on Sunday.  This year, very
few "new" ones came out on Sunday (unless I had already worked everything
that was spotted - which I doubt).

It doesn't pay to chase multipliers on Saturday in this contest.  By the time
you go chase down a spot, you could work 3 or 4 other new mults just by
CQ'ing.

The problem with RTTY spots is that you never know what frequency the
spotter is spotting, mark tone (FSK), USB or LSB or low tones or whatever.
In the past, some have complained about this.  I didn't like it when I go to a
spot and the station was not there.  You have to tune up or down 2 khz to find
the station.  Well, hey, that's part of the game and it doesn't bother me that
much.  Everyone else has the same problem so it's not a disadvantage to anyone.

And there is another thing to consider, and why I didn't spot.  Why let my
competition know where all the good stuff is? hi  However, in contests where
I am not seriously competing, I spot everything I see.

I noticed W2GG spotted me several times and I appreciate that but he didn't
work me in the contest!  Unless it was someone in the contest just using that
call for packet spots - that I don't know.

BTW, I bet I'm the only one that missed the AA5 multiplier!

But spotting seemed down this year.

73, Don AA5AU