[RTTY] Low participation? + bad practices

John Lockhart jlockj@earthlink.net
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 21:52:39 -0000

Just a few comments on this year's "Roundup".

I had a great time operating the RTTY Roundup from W0BV's, who graciously
lets me pretend to be a "big gun" every January.  I worked many new
stations, a few who didn't practice using their software before the contest.
I try to not get excited (and succeeded this year) about backward exchanges
and 45 seconds of diddles it as these hams are the new blood needed to keep
our part of the hobby alive and growing.

I worked quite a few more stations in total this year than last, but many
had whispers of signals that any rain static or city noise would have easily
covered up.  (Don, you were always strong when we worked)  I was happy to
work Chen two or three times, although I didn't figure out that he was in OR
right away on our first QSO.  ; )   I agree with Scott, IU, that there were
MANY more stations that I worked on all four bands that I operated (40 -10
meters).

As usual, it would be nice to see more DX participation, especially from
Africa and the Pacific.  I keep telling myself that this is more of a
Sweepstakes than a  DX contest.  Thanks to all the DX that does get on!!

73,

John  W0DC