[RTTY] Low participation? + bad practices

Shelby Summerville k4ww@home.com
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:41:48 -0500

John, W0DC wrote:  "I keep telling myself that this is more of a
Sweepstakes than a  DX contest"

And as long as there is no incentive -extra points- for working DX, it
doesn't seem logical to spend a lot of time trying for a "weak signal",
unless it is a multiplier, when you can work domestic much easier? As long
as you have propagation to the most populated ham area, IMHO, you will run
out of people to work before you run out of time, regardless of where you
operate from? Time and effort among several experienced RTTY operators went
into the articles found at  http://www.rttyinfo.net/
and many other sites, too numerous to mention. Instead of "preaching to the
choir", I suggest a "gracious" email to those that have "offended" you with
their operating style, informing them of these many informative and
educational sites. I haven't found too many exchanges that my software (my
brain) couldn't handle? I remember all too well, when I first found my way
onto the now defunct WF1B reflector, receiving much chastisement for
attaching my .SUM file to my score posting. I didn't know any other way, and
when someone mentioned "cut and paste", I was reminded of grade school! Far
too many take for granted that just because one has a computer, they know
how to use it "correctly"!
Lets not discourage or eliminate any participation, regardless of their
experience.
Maybe more than my 00.2 worth?
C'Ya, Shelby