[RTTY] RE: second soundcard

Bill Turner w7ti@dslextreme.com
Mon, 08 Jul 2002 08:54:58 -0700

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 12:53:49 +0100, Mobile Workshop wrote:

>However, you don't mention how you got over the usual lack of IRQ's for this
>extra soundcard.
>Having just set up my "new" PC, I had the joy of trying to find IRQ's for
>the two extra COM ports that I installed (on one board), and now don't have
>anything spare for an additional soundcard.

This may not be exactly the answer you're looking for, but if you're running
Windows, you shouldn't need to assign IRQs.  Windows will do it for you.  I have
four com ports on my system and can run programs requiring all four at the same
time - normally difficult or impossible on a DOS system.  Com1 is for radio
control of the Kenwood, com2 is for PTT under WriteLog, com3 is for CW keying
under WriteLog and com4 is an external modem.  All four can operate
simultaneously.  I've operated successfully this way on Win98 and WinXP.

I'm not really cognizant of the inner workings of Windows, but apparently it
swaps IRQs around as needed by the different programs which are running.  I
picture Windows as saying in effect "ok, program A needs IRQ3 on com2 now, so
other programs just wait a bit... ok, program A is done and now program B needs
IRQ3 on com4, so it's your turn, etc, etc".  Probably a clumsy analogy but
that's what seems to be happening.

If there is someone out there with more specific knowledge, please jump in and
enlighten us.

73, Bill W7TI