[RTTY] MOBILE RTTY Summary

Duane Budd w5ben@arrl.net
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 12:48:38 -0400

A few years back, I used to QSO with a guy running mobile
RTTY in his truck while his wife drove. Don't remember the
call.

73...

Duane Budd
w5ben@arrl.net
Johnson City, TN

-----Original Message-----
From: rtty-admin@contesting.com
[mailto:rtty-admin@contesting.com]On
Behalf Of wa9als
Sent: Sunday, July 07, 2002 9:58 PM
To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] MOBILE RTTY Summary

Using the IC-706MKIIG at 100W FSK RTTY to a 20M HamStick on
a mag mount on
the roof of a Suburban and very limited operating time, I
found the
following:

DXCC MIX 9:  DL, G, HK, K, OK, ON (MM), SP (Pawel), VE, YU
(Arpad) (5 PHONE,
5 RTTY)

Plus 5 US STATES

Usually I could find at least one RTTY QSO in progress.  I
could usually
turn up a QSO by calling CQ, and then, several more would
follow.  If I was
spotted, then there would be a brief little "pile-up".  Sure
not as many in
the RTTY segment as around 070!  I expected PSK31 to be the
mode of choice
for this trip, but I was pleased that RTTY ended up being
fairly active.

I was very happy with FSK RTTY (thanks Icom!).  Very nice
reports.  However,
PSK31 was a big disappointment.  I worked 2 stations - One
gave me a
horrible RST, something like 241 (love those honest RSTs!).
Another said he
could hear someone calling, but there was "RFI" present.  I
noticed some
strange behavior and finally concluded that I must, in fact,
have some RFI
source when AFSK.  As I would advance the sound output from
the laptop, I
could never get a smooth increase in power output or ALC
indication.  It was
one of three observations - 1) No output, 2) "spiking"
readings from none to
full indication (feedback?) for PO and/or ALC, or 3) Steady,
full output
indication if I turned up the audio far enough.  I'll bet
the latter was an
ugly signal!  The output from the laptop sounded OK in its
speakers when I
tried listening to that, so there has to be some RFI
somewhere later.

I mentioned earlier that I used a power inverter to power
the laptop - But
the RFI problem discussed above is unrelated to that and
occurred with the
power inverter OFF.

I assume I have the same problem with AFSK RTTY, but I
haven't tried that.

HIGHLIGHTS:  Working Dave (KC5JDD) as his first ever RTTY
contact!  Working
Jon, Len, and Arpad of contesting genre.

Anyway, could someone please tell me if they've ever heard
of mobile RTTY
before?  This really worked out nicely, and I hope some more
of you will
consider it, especially if the XYL and/or harmonics are good
drivers!

73 - John