[RTTY] RTTY operation in ARRL's Field Day exercise?

k3mm@comcast.net k3mm@comcast.net
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 19:29:08 -0400

I had the rather distinct displeasure of doing all the digital operation at
our field day this year.

I was very disappointed in that there was very little RTTY activity on any
band but 20 meters, yet there was PSK on almost every band and a lot more of
it!  Come on guys...spread out!

OK, I'm an RTTY snob.  I like being able to make a complete contact in under
a minute, rather than PSK which normally takes at least 2 or 3 if everything
goes right.

However, the worst thing about PSK was not the time per QSO, but the really
clueless and rude operators that abound on that mode.  Every time I get on
PSK (and it's not very often) I swear I'll never do it again.  These op's
(in general) have no etiquette, no form, and especially no idea how to
efficiently transmit information across a less-than-perfect connection.

It's just amazing to me how many stations heard me working someone and would
just start calling them or me without waiting for the QSO to end.  It was
bedlam.  This was the worst of it.

would survive a low percentage connection.  They'd send my call 3 times,
their call 3 times and the exchange once.  I'd ask for a repeat and get the
exact same thing over and over again.

Another common theme were those who would answer your CQ with a call and
exchange at the same time.  That's great, except they sometimes didnt stick
around to find out if you actually got their info.  Other times, you would
actually call someone else, and they were still there sending their answer
to your CQ or they were sure that you REALLY meant to call them, and send to
you again, clobbering the poor guy you were trying to work.

OK, it's Field Day.  But I cant say it was a lot more fun when I was on PSK
from Aruba either and I had NONE of this nonsense while running RTTY during
Field Day.

So you can quote me later, but I will never operate PSK from a DX spot
unless it's by request from RTTY or a requirement for a good "contest"
score.

Ty K3MM/P40MM