[RTTY] Best RTTY rig?

WA9ALS - John wa9als@starband.net
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 20:37:42 -0500

> For those fsk purists, Yaesu uses keyed afsk not fsk.
>
> John N1JM

And Yaesu seems to "derate" their stuff for RTTY to 50% power, whereas Icom
does not.  A lot of guys have said they run their 1000MPs at 100W in RTTY
contesting, but Yaesu only recs 50W.  Dependding on what amp you might have,
you might not get full legal output without using more than 50W exciter
power.

I noticed in the recent Quadra review in QST that it was implied that it
could be run at full 1000W output on RTTY.  However I believe I read on the
YAESU website that only 500W is recommended for RTTY.  The PROs can be run
at 100W RTTY and the PW-1 at 1000W RTTY with the manufacturer's blessing -
all day contesting etc.

The PRO/PW-1 combo gives you 1000W transceiver function with tuner and
4-position automatic antenna switch in small footprints.  (Ed said he
planned to be generous to himself!)  73