[RTTY] Best RTTY rig?

Marty Tippin martyt@pobox.com
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 20:40:17 -0600

At 07:37 PM 3/19/2002, WA9ALS - John wrote:
>And Yaesu seems to "derate" their stuff for RTTY to 50% power,

FT-920 is rated for 100 watts continuous.

I run my FT-1000MP at full power during RTTY contests. No worries, mate.

>The PRO/PW-1 combo gives you 1000W transceiver function with tuner and
>4-position automatic antenna switch in small footprints.

Yeah, but how many of you have antennas that can handle 1000 watts of
carrier for any length of time? It's a waste of money to have that kind of
power when all you're going to do is melt your antenna.

Few tribanders can do it; probably none of those that use traps. Force 12
tribanders can handle full power just fine (not a trap to be found).
Cushcraft and Mosley most definitely cannot.

I doubt any verticals can do it - possibly a Butternut, but I wouldn't bet
on it. Put that kind of power into a Cushcrap, Hy-Gain or GAP and it'll
become a smoking hunk of plastic in no time at all.

Even a "high power" balun for feeding wire antennas will give up the ghost
under the strain of an extended CQ at 1000W.

I'd rather have 500 watts I could use than 1000 I couldn't...

-Marty NW0L
  martyt@pobox.com