[RTTY] Dayton RTTY Forum set.....

Frank J Fallon n2ff@juno.com
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:39:42 +0000

        Hey guys let's calm down here.

        Let me sign the loyalty oath first.  "I am a loyal RTTY
contester.  I am not now, nor have I ever been a member of the SO2R cabal
(but I might be in the future). As a RTTY contester for almost 40 years I
have never ever pictured myself as coming in #1 in any RTTY contest.
With no antenna over 50 feet high and less stamina with each passing year
I don't think winning is in the cards.  I remain happy to be in the top
25."

        No matter which side of the issue you sit on here let's all
realize that SO2R is NOT going to go away.  It has been for some time
part of the contesting world.  Only recently has it taken off in RTTY
contesting.  Were contest sponsors to change the rules this afternoon and
separate the single op category into two or more categories, there would
still be a SO2R category.  Three or more manufacturers make the magic
boxes to do it and there are about six software programs that support it.
 As Don points out, it's a very accepted category in SSB and CW
contesting.  It is NOT going to go away.

        How you personally fell about going SO2R in a contest is an
entirely different issue.  No one is attempting to change your opinion on
the issue.  By all means go ahead and lobby the contest sponsors and get
them to change the rules to your liking.  But be aware that most larger
contest sponsors also run SSB and CW contests and the rules for the three
contest types - CW, SSB, and RTTY - are linked.  Certainly the CQ and
ARRL rules are.  As there are more SSB and CW practitioners of the
contests arts I do not think there will be a RTTY rules change that will
also involve the SSB and CW community unless those two communities see a
need for change.  At the moment I don't think they see this aspect of the
rules as broken.  I don't think the larger contest community sees this as
a problem.  I think the current reality is that we are not going to be
able to wag the dog here.  But as some obviously feel very strongly about
the issue go ahead and attempt to change the thinking of the other
contesters.

        In choosing this year's topic it was my intention to focus the
RTTY Forum and give it a bit more structure than we have had in the last
two years.  As moderator I was worried that we had run out of topics or
questions for the panel.  I thought the discussion had become a little
too freewheeling since we got the RTTY Forum back on the Dayton agenda
after an absence of a year or two.  Hence the change in format. It is not
my goal to create or continue a controversy.

        I think many of us are at least curious as to what is involved in
setting up a SO2R capable stations.  We are interested in learning what
is involved - filters, Dunestars, stubs, antenna separation, SO2R
switching boxes, software settings and changes, and the mind set required
to operate in this category.

        If we have time after the four presenters do their bit and answer
questions then we can take on some of the other issues mentioned.  If not
there is always the hospitality suite on Saturday night.

        As the deadline is past for inclusion in the HamVention program
there is little value in continuing the discussion on what the topic will
be.  It is set.

        I hope to see many of you at Dayton this year - fleamarket, forum
and the RTTY dinner.

73 de Frank...N2FF.....