[RTTY] No Digital? (VK9ML)

Waldemar DK3VN dk3vn@nexgo.de
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:57:55 +0100

Frank Hunt wrote:

> The 2002 Mellish Reef team, including myself, are presently
> considering how much time we should spend on RTTY.
> Can we expect to make 4,000 QSO's, or how many?
> 73, Frank ZL2BR

Hello Frank,

you can make up to 4000 RTTY-QSO's in total, I believe. Some minutes
ago I have made a little Short-/Long-Path Prediction for the time,
when you will be on Mellish Reef.  (For my QTH, of course :-)

In a summary: VK9m <=> DL the best bands are 20m (17m), Short-Path.
Bearing (SP/LP): DL->VK9m 50/230 deg, VK9m->DL 330/150 deg.

In details highest S/N ratio, all times in UTC:
80m 1900-2000 SP
40m 1800-2000 SP
30m 1700-2030 SP
20m 0500-0730 LP, 1400-1730 SP, 2000-2130 SP
17m 0600-0730 LP, 1200-1630 SP
15m 0600-0700 LP, 1330-1500 SP
12m ~1300 - ~1630 SP with low probability
10m ~1300 - ~1630 SP with very low probability

I don't know, if that is helpful for you. Please have in your mind,
the most contacts you can make in modes, where no high S/N ratio
is necessary, like CW and RTTY. ;-)

If you are thinking about working European stations, please think
about this few statements ..

1. Please have in your mind, that in Europe the distance from the
   "West Coast" to the "East Coast" is (approx.) the same, like the
   distance in the U.S.A. and the distance from the "North Coast" to
   the "South Coast" in Europe is much (!) longer than in the U.S.A..

2. If you are running in SSB, *PLEASE* don't accept the "last two"
   callers; NEVER!!!

3. Please have in your mind, that in Europe we have approx.
   40 different nations. That means: 40 x different language skills
   and 40 x different behavior in normal life and on the bands.

What every your decision is, I have to accept it; I will accept it!

73 de Waldemar, DK3VN
--
Check RWRL on  http://www.qsl.net/dk3vn   mailto:dk3vn@darc.de
RWRL Mirror on http://home.arcor.de/waldemar.kebsch