[RTTY] No Digital?

Ed W4EP ed@privette.com
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:54:59 +0000

Hi Frank. First let me thank you and your guys for going to Mellish. Also
thanks for considering the RTTY dxer BEFORE the operation.
I don't need Mellish on rtty so I want be "loading" my responses to make
them good for me hi.

How many Qs? About 3500.
How many bands? Two, 15 and 20. The more bands you use the more repetitive
multi band contacts, Thats OK on CW and SSB but rtty is too time consuming
per QSO.
How many hours? 3 hour blocks several times per day for full world
coverage. follow propagation predictions.
 From the start of the operation (or every third Q on SSB will include
"when will the rtty operation start")
BIG suggestion. Buffers. Make sure your buffers are short but effective.
The call to the other station should contain his call beginning AND end:

W4EP W4EP DE VK9MR 599  W4EP BK
W4EP TU DE VK9MR QRZ UP 5-25 BK

Buffers that only contain the other guys call at the beginning are
frequently unanswered for several times because the guys TNC didn't "lock
on" during the early part of the transmission causing repeated calls and
lots of wasted QSO time. Proper buffers are probably the most important
factor to maximize QSOs per hour.

Keep the listening frequency spread huge and skip around frequently.

Hope that helps Frank. If I can think of more will get back to you. You
guys have a safe "fun" trip.

73, Ed W4EP

PS I Served in Vietnam with the 173rd Airborne Brigade, of which your 1st
RAR and an  element from New Zealand was a part.  I will be there  for the
2005 reunion. Great bunch of guys.