[RTTY] POWER

Bill Turner w7ti@dslextreme.com
Fri, 17 May 2002 08:04:50 -0700

On Thu, 16 May 2002 15:33:17 -0500, Bill Hawkins wrote:

>What is the "Normal" power used for RTTY?
>Barefoot--like 100 watts,
>medium--like 500 watts,
>or full--like 2,3,or 4 KW?
>I don't suppose it's like PSK, around 25 watts.
>Bill W5EC

When conditions are good, 100 watts will work the world.  When they're
not, 1500 watts may not be enough.  It just depends.

Try it with 100 and see what happens.  Here, when some rare DX comes on,
I normally use the amp running the full legal limit.  But if I've
already worked that country, I will try it with QRP.  It's amazing how
often QRP gets through.  I do have a good antenna - four element quad
for 20/15/10 at 80 feet - but even a dipole will work if conditions are
good.

Try it for a while and report back on how it went.  We'd be interested
to hear.

73, Bill W7TI