[RTTY] POWER

Jim Reisert jjreisert@alum.mit.edu
Fri, 17 May 2002 08:42:24 -0700 (PDT)

--- Bill Hawkins <w5ec@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> What is the "Normal" power used for RTTY?

Hi Bill,

The answer isn't fundamentally different whether you say CW, RTTY or SSB
(PSK-31 being a notable exception).  FCC rules suggest minimum power required
to get the job done.

High-power RTTY will stress your system more than CW or SSB, due to the 100%
duty cycle when transmitting.  This means the transceiver, amplifier, tuner,
antenna, coax, etc. (don't forget about RFI and neighbors too!)  I burned out
an R7 trap on 15m calling E44/HA1AG (never did work them).

I generally run 100W in contests, and prefer to run the amplifier (AL-1200)
ONLY when it's a "new one" that I probably would not have worked without the
additional power.  Even then, I tend to keep the power below 1000W to be on the
safe side.

I remember working VR2BG on 10m RTTY in the WPX contest running just 100W, but
on the other hand called another DX station (who I can't recall) with the KW
for 20 minutes until they heard me (and there was no one else calling!).  Let
propagation be your guide.

73 - Jim AD1C

=====
USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com