[RTTY] WA9ALS CQWWRTTY M2

WA9ALS - John wa9als@starband.net
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 22:36:15 -0500

Location:  Shelbyville, Indiana (near Indy, IN the Black Hole of RF)

        QSOs   Points   Zones   DX:   States   Multipliers   Claimed Score

80m:    142    179      11      12    43
40m:    225    395      21      40    46
20m:    458   1131      28      76    43
15m:    721   1910      29      86    39
10m:    230    571      22      60    23

Total: 1776   4186     111     274   194       579           2,423,694

This was our 2nd attempt at M2, and again, great fun.  Of course, we didn't
really have enough ops for a 48 hr contest, but we did the best we could and
improved last years score a lot.

Ops:  John, WA9ALS, Alan, WD9GMK, and Wes KB9YTW (my son, 12 yrs old)

Station A:  IC-756PROII with PW-1 (KW) to C31XR at 72 ft or HF9V

Station B:  IC-706MKIIG (100W) to HF9V or R-7

We used networked WriteLog with MMTTY on both stations.  We operated about
46 hrs.  Both stations were not operating all of that time.  For more
details and a breakdown of Qs by station and operator, see
http://www.qsl.net/wa9als/cqwwrtty2002_2.htm and the 2001 comparison is at
http://www.qsl.net/wa9als/cqwwrtty2001.htm.

I just can't emphasize how much fun it is operating multi!  You have someone
to talk with about what is going on in the contest - good and bad!
Participation was incredible and propagation was great.  I expected Sunday
afternoon to fill our screens with red dupes.  While there were a lot, good
runs were still possible, and some green and yellow callsigns were still
easily found, right to the end.

At times we had a tough time in pileups with the 100W and vertical on the
high bands.  Part of me wanted to put the 100W rig on the yagi and put the
QRO station on the vertical.  Comments?  Prop was so good, our STATES were
actually down by 6, whereas ZONES were UP by 9, and DX was UP by 39!  Thanks
to Vern for Indiana (not easy!) and for the surrounding states.  I don't
think we ever got WI.

Thanks to all for the Qs and WELCOME to all the new folks who participated
in this one (Quite a few didn't highlight in Don's Super-Check file for WL -
It will be interesting to see how many were new!)  I thought operating style
was pretty good overall, and I only had to use the RIT a very few times.

Thanks to CQ/NRJ for another one of the great contests!  73 - John
John - WA9ALS - VP5RY (2001)

VP5 photos:  http://www.qsl.net/wa9als/vp5photos.htm
     email:  wa9als@starband.net
  homepage:  http://wa9als.com