[RTTY] Reply from Brian, K6STI

Dave AA6YQ dhb@attbi.com
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 12:24:26 -0700

The counter-argument is quite straightforward: if copying software is
not theft, then no one one would pay for it, in which case there would
be very little of it available.

The whole point of intellectual property law is to make it possible for
authors -- of books, motion pictures, articles, photographs, music, or
software -- to publish their works without being ripped off by those who
reason that theft only applies to physical objects.

    73,

       Dave, AA6YQ

-----Original Message-----
From: rtty-admin@contesting.com [mailto:rtty-admin@contesting.com] On
Behalf Of Bill Turner
Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2002 10:59 AM
To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Reply from Brian, K6STI

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 11:49:17 -0400, Ed Tanton wrote:

>people who would never remotely
>consider taking a penny on a tabletop that wasn't theirs, seem to think

>nothing of software piracy. It totally escapes me.

All my software is bought and paid for, but I understand the point of
the "pirates" too.  In their view, they are not taking something, they
are making a copy of something.

If you had a physical object - anything at all - and you went out in
your workshop and made a duplicate from scratch, leaving the original
intact, have you "stolen" something?  Most people would say no.  Agree
or not agree, that is how the pirates think.  It seems to be one of
those things like politics and religion where everyone has their own
belief and they're not about to change. Anyway, that's my take on it.

73, Bill W7TI