[RTTY] RTTY Capable Amp

WA9ALS - John ham_reflectors at wa9als.com
Tue Dec 30 20:10:29 EST 2003

Here's my two cents re QRO RTTY:

1.  PW-1 - Perfect gallon.  Not even warm to the touch.  Too expensive.
RTTY as long as you like.  Boring - just sits there and works all the time.
I put it on a bottom shelf and now forget about it.  Nothing to adjust.
Includes automatic tuner and 4-position automatic antenna switch.  Turns
your Icom rig into a KW transceiver.  Awesome if you don't like to repair
amps - see below!

2.  AL-1200 - I know Shelby likes his, but you could've cooked an egg on the
top of mine, and the bandswitch disintegrated twice before I sold it.  In my
opinion, it can't take the heat at QRO RTTY contesting.  Probably OK at
lower power, but if you're going for lower power, I agree with the AL-80B -
I borrowed one of those for awhile and liked it - added a nice warm glow and
some heat to the shack.

3.  Al-87A - AWESOME - Used for VP5RY effort in 2001 on North Caicos.  Full
1500W, no problem.  Quiet fans.  Pretty lites.  I'd still like to have one,
but decided on the PW-1 instead.

3.  R-7, max 400W RTTY.  I've created this curve - 400 OK, more will melt
traps.  I have the traps to prove it!

4.  HF9V - FB at 1000W RTTY contesting, even on 80M.  Lightning, however,
will fry double female where feedline attaches to the HF9V's 75 ohm coax.  I
have connectors to prove this also!

5.  C31XR - 1000W RTTY for as long as you want.  This has been the perfect
antenna.  SWR the same as when I put it up in 1999 (excellent).  Survives
Indiana winters.  The fact that this antenna has NO TRAPS is one of the key
reasons I chose it.  Why have traps when there's Force 12?  If you're
limited for space, get a smaller F12!

6.  MFJ tuners, QRO RTTY, and all-band dipoles with a balun?  Get out the
hotdogs!  I have several "cooked" specimens on file.  Took me awhile to
fully appreciate the collateral damage possible working QRO.

We love talking about our stuff, don't we?  Anyone get anything fun for
Christmas?  Have fun guys!

73 - John, WA9ALS