[RTTY] Condx/Activity

Jon Harder jon at praxisworks.org
Sat Feb 8 14:20:11 EST 2003

Patience is a much needed virtue in any contest, but it gets sorely tried
when the basics are ignored, including acknowledging an exchange.

Under  marginal condx such as we have now it really helps when serial
numbers are sent more than just once, and please never combined with the RST
into one big blob!

I've rarely seen so many stations needing repeats due to a caller's poor
buffer construction!   Poor W6IWO is now struggling to copy a guy who
insists on sending  RST and serial number together, over and over.  Ouch...

Last night I worked, finally, an HG1 with a good signal who was sending just
"599 012"  with no space or BK or CR following.  That covered the number in
garbage, so I had to ask him to repeat the number six times.  Instead, each
time he repeated the entire exchange with the S/N sent only once!  Later I
noticed he was not acknowledging any of the callers' exchanges, but moving
right into a QRZ.   Maybe a QRQ CW contester trying out RTTY for the first
time ?

I know I'm fussing to the choir, here.  Hopefully the condx will improve,
too.  For now, there may be other things to do on a Saturday morning.

Jon         K1US