[RTTY] RTTY Roundup AJ3M M/S HP

Shelby Summerville k4ww@arrl.net
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 05:30:23 -0500

N3SL@aol.com wrote: "Time to actively recruit and indoctrinate some new
brethren...."

As "my ole pappy" would have said: "couldn't have said it better
myowndamnself"!
As RTTY contesters, I firmly believe that "we" should do "whatever is within
reason" to insure that there is at least one other "active" operator in our
state/province for each RTTY contest, using states/provinces as multipliers.
While this will only effect a few, myself included, the RTTY community "as a
whole" should become involved? Many times I've asked: "anyone else NOT work
KY"! Fortunately, this year there were several other KY stations active...if
those stations are reading this...THANKS!!
Yes, I also missed DE, and if not for some last minute problems, I would
have been part of the M/S last year from W3PP! Also having been a part of
"providing one that was missing this year, in the following year"  (K4WW/7
from K5RC 2001), I now fully realize the "best laid plans of mice and men"!
In Y2K, Nevada was missed by most everyone. In 2001 there were at least 3
other NV stations active. While the trip to K5RC was absolutely the most
fun I've had, "fully clothed", IMHO, insuring at least one other operator in
"our" lesser populated states/provinces, would not only allow those living
in those states/provinces their own multiplier, but would also increase
activity, as "competition increases activity"?
Personally, I would like to see a "show and tell" forum scheduled on Friday
night at the "RTTY motel" in Dayton? While their presentations were
"professionally" presented, there was certainly "less than enough" time to
absorb what was being shown, and ask any intelligent questions at 2002
Dayton RTTY forum? A more "casual atmosphere" along with enough time for
questions and answers would, IMHO, be available on Friday night? As a
"hospitality room" is usually well attended on Friday night, why not use it
as a "teaching/learning" tool, instead of just a "social event"?  Would this
be attended by "those that need it", I have no idea? I'm convinced that
"those that need it"....y'all define "those that need it" however you
please...aren't reading this, therefore the proper advertisement and
promotion is essential if "they" are to "be reached"? RTTY contesting is not
really "rocket science", but more of a "darn, if he/she/they can do that, I
can too" attitude? IMHO, others are attracted to "what we do" because it's
different from "what they do"? If "we" are to be successful in "recruiting
and
indoctrinating some new brethren", "we" must first convince them that "what
we do" is more fun than "what they do"?
C'Ya, Shelby