[RTTY] Contest Macros

FireBrick FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:18:18 -0600

Subject: [RTTY] Contest Macros

?
> Is this a good operating practice or just another way to slow things
down.?
> The upcoming BARTG will be only my 2nd attempt at RTTY contesting, and I
> don't won't to look any more a novice than I have to. Any other tips or
> suggestions from anyone.? TIA...73

I'm certainly not a major player. But here is my take.
Adding a LF (line feed) at the beginning and end of a buffer add X amount of
time to the buffer.
For the Big Hitters, that computes to more time transmitting, more time
waiting for a buffer to end, consequently less time available to work a
different station.

But for me, it takes a callsign out of garbage characters, makes it easier
for <INSERT> to get a correct call or for me to use <MOUSE> to click on a
correct call.
For a Pop Gun like me, that computes to less time determining a correct
call, less time in repeating my call, consequently more time available to
work a different station.

Maybe, just maybe, a case can be made that a line, not mixed with random
garbage characters is less fatiguing. I've never heard anyone make that
claim.
I do think that in the low production hours, when my concentration level is
poorest, it helps to have LF buffers.

I do think that if you do not use K or BK, a LF gives an indication that
your ready to receive.

your mileage may vary, try it both ways, make a mirror of your buffer on the
corresponding Shift F key with LF's and see which is more comfortable.

Most of us go to our grave with our music still inside of us.

W9OL, Bill H. in Chicagoland