[WriteLog] Re: [RTTY] Contest Macros

Eric - VE3GSI ve3gsi@canada.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 21:22:24 -0500

Hi Bill.
My qualifications as you, am not a big gamer in contests, - but do enjoy
them when I do.

The first thought I had is for the guys using old paper machines (Yeh..
Right!). It was always good etiquette to send a double carriage return and a
single line feed. Simply to help prevent the print from piling up on the
right hand side of the paper because of a 'hit'. Ok guys I know most of you
have never seen a paper roll, but bear with me.

The first computer programmes used for RTTY were all over the place - that
is to say, some programmes would add a line-feed for every carriage return
and for a while, the paper punchers ticked off the computer guys that were
lot of empty space on a computer screen.

Thank goodness programmes have matured and I honestly don't know of any '19'
or '28' machines and the likes, so the RTTY world should be living in some
sort of mutual bliss.

Bill, personally I don't think a <cr> adds to the contest time frame any
more then the random hits you mentioned (or this rambling reply), as much as
a station that doesn't use Un-shift On Space (UOS), (err, dare I remind
everyone of a single station in the last Roundup?) causing us to stop and
use the old North West rule.

Like you I find screens easier to read from the guys that use <cr>. So
perhaps that will add speed back? I also think the use of DE CALLSIGN helps
force contesting software to 'see' or highlight the call. To me this would
be more important for increasing contesting speed than scanning my entire
terminal window for a call unfamiliar to me.

Now if we could talk Wayne into adding a 'Make Coffee' button to WriteLog,
that would be a good thing..!!?? (apologies to Ms. Stewart)

73 QRZ UR 599 ON
Eric - VE3GSI