[RTTY] Club Competition in 2004 RTTY Roundup

Tom Moore wx4tm at direcway.com
Fri Jan 24 07:17:57 EST 2003

I may be off a year or so in the following, but as I recall:

at the 2000 dayton hamvention rtty forum, 100+ rtty contesters
voted overwhelmingly that SO2R should be a separate contest
category..

during the following year, the reflectors were often crowded
with heated discussion on this issue..

at the 2001 dayton hamvention rtty forum, it was said up front
that no disucssion would be allowed on the SO2R  separate
category issue..

at the 2002 hamvention, the rtty forum focused on how to do
SO2R but refused to allow disucssion on the separate category
issue..

Throughout this period, not one single contest sponsor has
publicly or directly addressed this issue until  two members of
the arrl hudson div finally were able to get the issue on the agenda
for the recent arrl msc meeting.. at which, the committee apparently
felt there was not sufficient interest on this issue to warrant
studying.

Contest sponsors and log checkers are not looking for extra work
and they are prone to not being willing to change anything until publicly
forced to do so.  So as I see it, while there  appears to be a majority
of rtty contesters who agree that SO2R should be a separate category,
no one has stepped forward to organize an effort to present a clear and
convinceable case to contest organizers proving their rules are grossly
unfair to the average SO1R contest participant.  Until that happens, I
doubt we'll ever see any change..

Tom WX4TM