Fwd: Re: [RTTY] ANARTS not requiring the / ?

Phil Florig W9IXX at arrl.net
Tue Jun 10 10:19:57 EDT 2003

Hi,

I have been mostly chasing DX and have been "up in the air" about using
the /4.  I lets the person know that I am in 4 land but that is about it.
Most of the time for DX it doesn't matter to the DX station.  Problem is
when the DX calls for the "4's" am I ok to jump in the pile.  HI....
This has caused some problems as one DX station would not work me because
I jumped in with the /4 and he said I was a 9 and didn't get in the log.
When he got to the 9's he wouldn't respond to me. (Selective hearing???  HI.)

I know that contesting is a little different and guess will have to look
at the particular contest to see if it makes a difference like Bill and Bob
indicated.

Side note here, is that sometimes there is a problem with the qsling part as
I get "Not in log" because I didn't put /4 on the call when submitting. The
log search did not pick up the call right.     Might keep this in mind when
qsling...

73    Phil

Philip Florig           e-mail:pflorig at ieee.org
115 Horne Rd.               (or):W9IXX at arrl.net
Columbus, NC. 28722         amateur radio:W9IXX
USA                      also:J3X-T30,31,32,33P
                            team member:AH1A-J3A
IPR Systems, Inc.           tel: 1-708-385-7500
11651 Mayfield Ave.         fax: 1-708-385-7515
Alsip, IL. 60803          email:info at iprsys.com
USA
   INDUSTRIAL POWER SUPPLIES & RECTIFIERS