[RTTY] Re Bob's Query

Bill Turner w7ti at ispwest.com
Fri Jun 13 09:16:04 EDT 2003

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 16:54:55 +1000, "Colin Davies"
<ctdavies at bigpond.com> wrote:

>Another point occurs to me....I get more points for working some
>USA call areas than others. The stations worked by Bob could get
>more or less points depending if he uses /6 or not.
>
>I have just spoken to other committee members on the fone and as far
>as Anarts is concerned if you use W7TI, it is assumed you are operating
>from call area 7. If you operate outside your call area, its up to you to
>operate as required by your licence conditions. Of course we would never
>know where you are operating from, and we are certainly not going to
>be checking on any station in that regard...

In my particular case (W7TI), either with or without the /6 I would be
in zone 3 so the points would be the same if I understand the rules
correctly.  Only the multiplier would be different, and neither 6 or 7
is difficult or rare, so that probably would make no difference
either.  As mentioned earlier, in the US the FCC does not care.
Either with or without the /6 is perfectly legal.

The only reason I asked in the first place is a desire to shorten my
call and thereby reduce both time and chance of error while being
copied.

For this contest, I will go ahead and use the /6 even though the rules
don't require it, but I would suggest to the rules committee that the
requirement be added for next time so there would be no doubt.

And thanks for putting on a great contest, one of my favorites.

73, Bill W7TI