[RTTY] FRIEND Files

K4SB k4sb at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 1 04:23:49 EDT 2003

Rfmandmpm at aol.com wrote:
> I finally succeeded in getting the previous FRIEND file corrected to BOB from BEN, however it is back to BEN in the file that was recently released.
------------------------------
Unless my file has been modified, your name is listed as BOB in the
latest file I sent to Don! Since I created it, and just checked it, I
should know.

I have asked many times for corrections to be sent to me, Don has
asked corrections be sent to me. The current friend file has a high
ASCII byte added to the end of file.
This of course is removed before sending a file to Don, but in
essence, it means during the compilation "DO NOT CHANGE THIS NAME!"

I have also done some checking with Writelog, and the reference to
friend.ini is near the end of writel32.exe. I was hoping that just
changing the .ini to something like
.cal would solve the problem, but apparently, it is linked to a .dll
file.

With an estimated 29% of WL users using 98, it seems to me that the
correction would take probably 2 whole minutes. However, I am informed
by others that it's not a "high" priority.

Well, updating the friend.ini file will fall into the same category.
And as far as so called "outdated calls" included, the master.cal file
has ONLY calls from Dec 2003 on.

Emails to Ron have not been answered.

73
Ed