[RTTY] SARTG sad tale

Dick White whiter26 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 23 15:33:42 EDT 2004

The day before the SARTG contest, I was setting up WF1B and checking out my
equipment. I found that I was not copying any RTTY signals. Just garbage was
on the screen. The signals were loud and solid. I checked out the W1AW
transmission and found the same problem. The only way I could print a signal
was to use the 6.0 filter. I could not print a signal with the .250 , .500
or 1.8 or 2.4 filters. Just garbled trash.  Try working a contest with no
filtering and you will understand my frustration and why I only worked 42
calls. I had to hunt for a clear call and hope someone did not get close
before I got the exchange. The odd thing is, I do not have this problem in
the CW mode. All filters are working fine using CW. Guess I will have to pop
the cover and take a look inside my Ten Tec Paragon. and take a look. I hope
to get this fixed before the next RTTY contest. But, all is not lost as I
shot an 81 this morning . It sure is great when your putter just can't seem
to miss the hole and everything goes in.

Band         QSO's          Pts        Dist        DX
40              3                   30          2           1
20             31                 350        12         13
15               8                   75          3           1
                  42                 455        17         15
Claimed Score  =  14560

73....Dick    KS0M

Richard C. "Dick" White        whiter26 at sbcglobal.net
Fulton,  MO. 65251

Amateur Radio Station - KS0M   (ex WB0WLX / KC0MY )