[RTTY] Quality of soundcards?

Ekki Plicht ep at plicht.de
Thu Dec 2 16:24:36 EST 2004

Hi,
yesterday I read a review on various "barebone" systems with integrated
soundcards. The authors claimed that many of these soundcards had a very bad
quality, mainly in respect to the linearity of gain/amplification over
frequency.

This lead me to think about the issues of less than perfect soundcards for
amateur radio. I can imagine that a higher quality soundcard can make quite a
difference in decoding RTTY with programs like MMTTY, especially when it
comes to difficult situations.

Does anybody here have some ideas on that? Or even someone who already made
some comparisions with various soundcards under otherwise identical setups?

73,
Ekki, DF4OR
(currently only dreaming about RTTY, due to the lack of antennas)