[RTTY] FSK vs AFSK

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Fri Dec 10 16:30:19 EST 2004

On Dec 10, 2004, at 1:02 PM, Reid Hill wrote:
> But FSK has a BIG advantage over AFSK for one reason
> in my mind, FILTERS.

I have no problem at all with using narrow filters on my FT-1000MP in
AFSK (what Yaesu calls "packet" mode).

Ditto the dial offset (someone else mentioned that as an advantage of
FSK, but it is not true: it depends on your rig.  My 4 year old rig can
do it.  I think the MP is much older than 4 years, but that was about
how long I have had mine.).

With my FT-1000MP, I am in fact running a dial offset of 1615 Hz with
one of the selectable Packet tone pairs.  The reason for such an odd
frequency is because Packet tone pairs are 200 Hz apart, referenced to
the center frequency whereas the "standard" RTTY is 170 Hz, referenced
to the Mark (unmodulated, un-diddled) carrier.  By choosing this
offset, I can use very narrow filters and still have the signal right
smack in the middle of a narrow IF passband.

I had previously used the high tone pair, but W1ZT convinced me that
the lower tones are more pleasing to the ears (I think as you age :-).

I have set my (software) modem to center the Mark tone on the crossed
banana at 1615 Hz, and centered the DSP filters of the modem
appropriately.  With both a KAM Plus and an ST-8000, you can also
arbitrarily set their mark and space tones, so it is not just with
software modems that you can do this to.

I use the exact same mode/offset setting when I operate PSK31.  In my
case, my waterfall display's frequency scale is calibrated to show the
offset of a line in the waterfall from the rig's dial (given the known
1615 Hz offset on the rig).

I use AFSK and FSK interchangeably.  When I transmit through the KAM, I
use FSK, for example.  When I finally get the software modem working
with the microKEYER, it will be yet one more box that works with FSK.

73
Chen, W7AY