[RTTY]

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Sun Dec 19 15:40:15 EST 2004

On Dec 19, 2004, at 10:41 AM, K4SB wrote:
> If you run FSK to an FSK input jack on your radio, it is impossible to
> overdrive the radio or amp.

Ed is correct, as long as you control the keying rise times and fall
times properly -- in the extreme cases these show up as key clicks even
a kc or two away.

But other than that, I can't come up with a case where FSK can generate
ghost images (in the same band as the main signal) like badly generated
AFSK can.   You can even drive an FSK signal into a class-C amp.

AFSK takes constant and careful monitoring.  I think that all of us
using AFSK have over-modulated at one time or other.  I use AFSK
myself, and always welcome a reminder.

73
Chen, W7AY