[RTTY] "Slashed" Zeros vs. the number "Zero"

Kok Chen chen at mac.com
Mon Dec 20 16:48:45 EST 2004

On Dec 20, 2004, at 8:47 AM, Peter Laws wrote:
> Ø - I'm at work where I have a proper terminal.  The character at the
> left
> margin is NOT ASCII, and I think that's what N1ND was referring to.
> Sure
> looks neat in a zero-land callsign, though.  :-)

What Peter posted above is indeed the "Latin Capital letter O with
stroke" character at Unicode position 0x00d8.  It is definitely not
part of ASCII but is sometimes available as an "extended ASCII" at hex
D8.

On a Macintosh, you can get this character by holding down the option
key and typing an uppercase O (oh) (i.e., shift key also held down).
The lower case version of it is just option-o.

If the ARRL robot does the typical 8-bit input into 7-bit ASCII
conversion, then this Ø character will appear as a capital X.  So NØNI
will show up in your log at the robot as NXNI even if it looks OK at
your end.

In fact, it would not surprise me one bit if some of you see an X
instead of an oval with a slash across it in the above text if your
mail reader does not support "extended ASCII."

I am copying Trey on this, although personally I am not sure if he
should make Cabrillo accept 0xd8 as a zero.

73
Chen, W7AY