[RTTY] 160 RTTY Contesting

Thomas Giella KN4LF kn4lf at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Dec 31 13:06:21 EST 2004

Floyd et all,

Yes I also see wide AFSK RTTY and PSK31 signals on the HF bands. When I
politely mention same to the offending parties the response is usually
hostile or indifferent at best. But I don't think it would be an issue
amongst contesters as we are one cut above the rest in technical knowledge
and operating skill.

The defacto digital operating band on 160 meters is 1805-1815 kc. But just
as 160 meter CW and SSB contesters spread out during a contest and
ragchewers find something else to do, the same would happen with an RTTY
contest. Also as far as 160 meter band segment allocations differing amongst
countries, that happens on all the HF bands. You just make do.

Compared to just 5-10 years ago the 160 meter band is virtually empty of
QSO's, so an RTTY contest would be beneficial to the band as far as use
thereof.

Just my .02!

73,
Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
Retired Space & Atmospheric Weather Forecaster
Plant City, FL, USA
Grid Square EL87WX
Lat & Long 27 58 33.6397 N 82 09 52.4052 W
kn4lf at arrl.net

PropNET Beacon Program: http://www.propnet.org
HCDX Propagation Channel:
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/index.php?topic=Propagation
KN4LF Daily Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Data Archive:
http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf5.htm
KN4LF HF/MF Radio Propagation Theory Notes: http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf8.htm
KN4LF Amateur & SWL Radio History: http://www.kn4lf.com/index.htm

Tom - I haven't been following this thread, but being a long-time 160 meter
and RTTY person I feel compelled to respond.  There are several issues that
should be addressed prior to pushing forward for an RTTY contest on 160.  An
important one is what is considered the digital "portion" of the band.  Last
time I looked, there were differences between the regions and that has
caused some problems in the past.  Perhaps a more important problem is the
proliferation of the use of AFSK among RTTY operators who have no idea what
they're doing.  Recently I've been looking at RTTY signals on 20 meters
using Digipan for its display capabilities.  Many of the RTTY signals I've
seen are simply DREADFUL, with multiple sidebands probably caused by
overdriving the audio input on the transceiver.  Others have hum problems,
probably caused by improperly grounded interface lines.  Some of these
signals are incredibly broad.

For those not very experienced in 160 meter operation, here's why these
things can be a big problem.  Unlike the other bands, you'll hear all the
other USA stations that are on ALL THE TIME during the hours of darkness.
It won't take many over-driven signals to muck up the band for everyone.

K8AC