[RTTY] Re: Different modes- extra time check log?

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 faunt at panix.com
Thu Jan 1 22:08:04 EST 2004

   Date: 31 Dec 2003 23:11:45 -0500
   From: Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 <faunt at panix.com>

   Hi all,
   If I want to work RTTY in RRU for 24 hours and switch to PSK31 for 6 hours,
   can I submit the RTTY log for competition, and the PSK31 log for a check
   log?

The common answer was "ask N1ND", and he said basically no (I'm
impressed that he responded on NY Day), apparently because the ARRL
doesn't differentiate between PSK31 and RTTY (except when they do,
such as in the 2000 and 2001 RTTY Roundup, where an award was given
for PSK31 operation).

I qualified my question to him, since what I wanted to do was operate
PSK31 during the "off" time during my RTTY operation, and not
necessarily at the end of the contest, but I'd only use the 24 hours
of RTTY operation for my score.

I think that their characteristics are different enough so they should
be counted as different modes.  The ARRL will allow one to enter the
10M contest in one mode and have non-scored QSO's in the other allowed
mode, or opt for a combined entry.  This would, I think, increase
participation in this contest.

The Cabrillo format would have to be extended to differentiate between
RTTY and PSK31, since currently they are both reported as "RY".

I could operate 24 hours on RTTY and then 6 hours in PSK31, and the
first 24 would count, but since I think there's a fair amount of RTTY
activity on Sunday afternoon, that would have a negative impact on my
score.

73, doug