[RTTY] Concept of a new RTTY Contest

Waldemar DK3VN dk3vn at nexgo.de
Thu Jan 22 19:03:22 EST 2004

Hi,

we all should push each HAM to run RTTY and subscribe to this
reflector. Here you can learn everything about RTTY contesting.
Also you'll receive nice brainteaser's, the (real) color of the
bears living in the north pole area and that the circumference
of the earth is much, much longer, then you ever heard. ~:) ~:)

Whatever you believe, I am not "inventing the wheel again". It's
a new RTTY-Contest and not a new concept (see the subject line).

Boy, I have received many e-mail's via the reflector and direct.
After eliminating the "QRN" and the "QRM"; I would say, the
this little project. At the end of this months I will make my
final decision. Then the final rules and some helpful information
should be available during the first two weeks in February.

It's hard to to find good dates for a new contest. The date is
(second full weekend in September) two weeks after the "SCC RTTY"
and two weeks before a big contest at the end of the month. ~:)
That will be a nice warm up for the "CQ WW RTTY".

Of course I know, that the difficulties are different, if you have
to use transpolar or trans-equatorial paths, to work two different
stations, which are in the equal distance to your QTH. Simply I don't
wanted to copy the pointing scheme of the ANARTS. Then it would not
be a new RTTY Contest.

The logging problem is solvable. As we have learned from Ed, W0YK,
you can use the "Stew Perry" module. On the other side, it is not
a big deal for a software programer, to copy an existing module
and modify it. Maybe he needs about two hours for the process
steps "Understand", "Modify", "Compile" and "Test"!?! To create
a new module needs a few hours more, only.

Hmm .. I should buy them a few beers in Dayton and Friedrichshafen,
until I hear loud and clear: "Stop! Yes, I'll do it" ~:)

For those, who are still using the WF1B software, I'll try to
find a solution.

The reference point for the distance calculation will be the
center of the Maidenhead Grid Square, of course!

Now I have a few questions, mainly based on suggestions, received
from a few HAM's.

Operating time: Would you prefer 48h (SO: 32/48h) or 24h?
If 24h, what's about the time scheme of the SARTG then?

Categories: Would you prefer a SOAB-QRP category?

What about a bonus for QSO's on 40 and 80 meters? Just to keep
activity on lower bands going. I.e. "Multiply the worked distance
with 1.5 for 40m QSO's and multiply it with 2.0 for 80m QSO's".
I am not sure, if this would favor the operators in high
populated areas???

And last but not least: If you want to be a member of the
Contest Supporting Group, I need you help and not your money,
then let me know, please!

73 de Waldemar, DK3VN
--
Check RWRL  on http://home.arcor.de/waldemar.kebsch
RWRL Mirror on http://www.qsl.net/dk3vn   mailto:dk3vn at darc.de
German DX Foundation #207  http://www.gdxf.de
Big antennas, high in the sky, are better than small ones, low!