[RTTY] Concept of a new RTTY Contest

J. Edward (Ed) Muns w0yk at msn.com
Thu Jan 22 10:46:02 EST 2004

> Operating time: Would you prefer 48h (SO: 32/48h) or 24h?
> If 24h, what's about the time scheme of the SARTG then?

My vote is for 24 out of 30 hours for SO, and MO can go the full 30.  The
one day, or part day, contests are very popular.  They are fast paced and
seldom boring.  They don't wipe out the entire weekend for those people who
actually do other things in life besides contesting!  And, the mandatory
time off for SO is very humane and adds another strategic element to the
mix.  The 24/30 format gives full opportunity to exploit all 5 bands.

> Categories: Would you prefer a SOAB-QRP category?

I support a QRP category and I think it is helpful to give bonus points to
everyone who works a QRP station because of the often greater difficulty of
the QSO by both parties.  However, the bonus points make the score
computation by the contest sponsor more difficult.  So, the feasibility
really depends on the contest sponsor's ability to compute the score
including this bonus.

> What about a bonus for QSO's on 40 and 80 meters? Just to keep
> activity on lower bands going. I.e. "Multiply the worked distance
> with 1.5 for 40m QSO's and multiply it with 2.0 for 80m QSO's".
> I am not sure, if this would favor the operators in high
> populated areas???

I also like this bonus for low-band QSOs.  As for highly populated areas,
this is offset by the distance factor in the QSOs ... the main principle of
the contest.  You can also argue that stations a skip or two away from a
highly populated area can run rate on the high bands to compensate.  You can
never fully equalize all possible situations, but this contest definition
makes some first-order steps to do so, better than many others.

73,
Ed - W0YK