[RTTY] Dumb Question

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 13 22:43:32 EDT 2004

Except topic for discussion.  As Dave stated, the 2 hours off adds to the
strategy of the contest.

The big question is - when do you take this time off?

I don't know that there is a real right or wrong answer and again, as Dave
stated, it all depends on geography.  And it depends on whether it's summer or
winter.  Because 80 meters can be a big plus or minus.  So noise on 80 (and 40)
becomes a factor.  But you need those 80 meter mults to do well.

I used to do all ten hours at once and take the last two hours off.  But on more
than one occasion it cost me the win.  K5DJ beat me twice because he had more 80
meter multipliers.  Because of these occasions, I have learned to take an hour
off for dinner (to keep the YL happy) and take the last hour off.  This worked
well on all occasions I did this.

Unfortunately, not all of us can dictate our off times.  I'll be on-call at work
this weekend and as busy as we've been, I'll be lucky to be able to put all ten
hours in.  So in cases like these, sometimes you just have to take off when you
have to take off.  It's not terrible to be in there for the last hour.  The rate
does slow down but time and time again, it all boils down to multipliers.  Look
at what happened in February.  Charlie KI5XP had more Q's than me but I was able
to beat him with multipliers.  So gaining valuable multipliers on 80 meters in
the last hour might help you beat someone else in your state.

I disagree with Dave on taking four 30 minute breaks because for me this contest
is about rhythm.  When I get into a rhythm, I want to keep that going as long as
possible.  This contest usually has plenty of actual to help get and keep you in
a rhythm.

Having always operated this contest from this QTH, I can't say what East or West
Coast strategy might be on off times but I'd be interested to hear what those on
either coast have to say about it.

73, Don AA5AU