[RTTY] DXCC RTTY

Tom Moore wx4tm at tm-moore.com
Wed Jun 9 17:58:12 EDT 2004

a little brag time and a short story follow:

In February 1979, operating as KL7JDH in Anchorage AK, I received WAS
SSB #30,612.  Of interest, to me anyway, was that everyone of those
QSO's was obtained within 3 hours while operating in the ARRL 10 meter
contest in December of 1978.

Later, in April 1980, while still in Anchorage and having upgraded to
EXTRA Class and receiving the call of KL7Q, I received DXCC PHONE
#10,284.  I was mildly surprised that the number was that low.

In November 2002, having retired to Alabama and changing my call to
WX4TM, I received WAS RTTY #383. This time I was very surprised that
this number was so low.

After much procrastination and having worked 235 RTTY, I finally got up
enough cards to submit for DXCC RTTY. So in May of this year, my cards
were submitted and approved for DXCC RTTY. Last week, I received my DXCC
RTTY Certificate. Not only did I get 'A' certificate, I got TWO of them!
Both were identical!! You can imagine my surprise at that.. and dismay
when I noted the number was #92,746! How in the world could it possibly
be that high?

Today, I finally decided it was time to question the ARRL about the two
certificates and, what I felt to be, the extremely high RTTY DXCC
number.

I was amazed that, in less than an hour, I received the following
response:

Hi Tom:

I caught the numbering issue last Friday and have been preparing
replacement certificates to go out for about 7 people.

You're actual number is 1,363.

Your replacement will be sent right away.

My apologies for the confusion.

Regards

Bill Moore NC1L
DXCC Manager

Whew! that's cool. I'm surprised the 1,363 number is so low!

I'm also impressed! Everybody makes mistakes now and then. But its how
they admit it and professionally respond that counts. And in this case,
my thanks and appreciation go out to Bill Moore at ARRL for handling
this issue in such an expedient and professional manner. Some folks at
ARRL sure nuff do try hard. It shows.  And there's lots of us out here
who really appreciate it.

Thanks Bill.

Tom Moore, WX4TM
(and to clarify: though we might share the same last name, as far as I
know Bill Moore and I are not related in any way..  hi hi ).