[RTTY] GU0SUP SOABLP Makrothen

Phil Cooper pcooper at guernsey.net
Sun Mar 7 12:00:17 EST 2004

Hi all,

A fun contest for sure, but a shame about the lack of activity. I guess too
many were playing in the ARRL SSB contest.

Conditions at the start were less than ideal, but 20m certainly picked up
during our evening time (1800UTC till about 2100UTC).
It was a treat to hear Bob VE6YR with such good signals (a real 599+10dB),
and he was still good an hour or so later. Also got VE7CF, W7WW and W6OJ
with good signals.

I had planned to stay up past my bed time, but 20m was almost closed, and
the only signals I could hear were already in the log, and 40/80 were both
awful.
I managed to get back into the shack just before 0700, and found ZL4AD with
a huge signal on 20m, and then found a nice opening to JA on 15m.

The last hour was hard work with so many playing only in the Ukraine
contest, so it was back to S&P for those looking for grids.

Now the contest is over, I wonder whether it might be better to have extra
points for QSO's on 40/80, and maybe the different squares might be mults?
With the lack of extra points on the lower bands, there isn't much incentive
to use those bands, especially if 20 is open late, or even most of the
night?

Anyway, here is what I managed:
Band           QSO
80                  2