[RTTY] The Makrothen Contest date

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Wed Mar 17 17:03:20 EST 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Frank Hunt wrote:

-> Personally I am extremely disappointed that inspite of the suggestions
-> and thoughts on possible dates that I sent directly to Waldemar, that
-> the 2nd week in October will be the new date.

Folks, there are only 52 weekends in the year and even with timezone
differences, that only gives 104 slots for contests that are 24 h long and
fewer if you look at contests longer than 24 h.  *Somebody* will end up
disappointed!

I chose to participate in the ARRL DX test because I wanted to add to my
DXCC totals (which are well short of 100!) and I would have *liked* to
participate in the Makrothen but couldn't ... but it's not that big a
deal to me.

If you want to participate in something else, go ahead - it's a free
market.  Either the contest will work in the new slot or it won't, but the
folks who have VOLUNTEERED to put this on can't accomodate everyone.

The person that said the Makrothen was a true DX test due to the use of
Maidenhead grids was right - and it's why I hope to be able to participate
next year!

Peter Laws
N5UWY/9