[RTTY] Re: Noise with MMTTY

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Tue Mar 23 13:28:38 EST 2004

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Don Inbody wrote:

-> My only problem is the tendency of my rig (TS-430) to clamp down the
-> AGC when a nearby loud signal comes on, thereby virtually eliminating
-> the weaker signal I may be copying.  In that circumstance, a tight
-> filter (or moving the IF shift) will help.

This is the issue I have with my IC-725 - nearby loud signals kill me.
I've considered getting a narrower INRAD filter for the SSB side (I run
AFSK with MMTTY) but I think I'd still have the same problem ...  or would
I?

I've been told that the 1.8 kHz filters make SSB a little harsh-sounding
...  could I build a jig to be able to switch the filters in and out?

Another crazy thought I had - add the 500 Hz CW filter and run split.
Doable?

Clearly, a new IC-7800 would fix all this, but I'm *cheap*.

Peter Laws
N5UWY/9