[RTTY] viruses

Bill Turner wrt at dslextreme.com
Tue May 4 11:02:28 EDT 2004

On Mon, 3 May 2004 18:19:13 -0700, Tom Osborne wrote:

>Hi All
>
>I don't know what is going on but I got emails with viruses today
>from:
>
>DL4NDO
>W1JR
>F5OGL
>ccc with an email address of arrl.org.
>
>This has been an ongoing thing and I get these every day.  I don't
>even know if these are legit calls or not, but they are sending out
>emails.
>Tom W7WHY

Just remember the basic rule:  Never open an attachment unless you are
expecting it in advance AND have scanned the attachment with up to date
anti virus software.  If everyone would do these two things, viruses
would become a non issue.

Actually there is a third:  Never read email with an HTML-enabled
program.  ASCII text only.  This isn't as much a problem as it used to
be, but the virus writers are quite clever at exploiting HTML.  So far
as I know, nobody has figured out how to transmit viruses using only
ASCII text without attachments.

--
Bill, W6WRT
QSLs via LoTW